Monday, August 3, 2015

Hello From the MTC


Wow. I can't even believe that I am here right now. It has definitely been quite the experience. Words cannot describe the atmosphere here. I really love it. As you know there was a lot of trouble getting here. I felt like Satan was just putting every obstacle in our path so we couldn't make it here. I am so thankful for the Sherman's and their willingness to help me out! I kept thinking to myself that our flight delay was a sign that I shouldn't go on a mission! But we were finally able get on a plane to Seattle and then to Salt Lake. I was able to sleep most of the flight which was nice. We even ran into missionaries in the Seattle airport that were on their way home. Their words of encouragement really helped me because I was super stressed out about getting to the MTC. We finally made it at about 5:30.... yes we could have driven and still made it before then. But anyways Sister Sherman and I went inside and were directed to classrooms. We missed orientation and I still don't know anything. I feel like a deer in the headlights most of the time. I missed singing Called To Serve with all the missionaries which I was really looking forward to! I'm pretty bummed about that.

So basically we just spend most of our time in classrooms studying and preparing lessons for our "investigators". It is really hard work. But it is good work. I love my companion. She is awesome! We get along really well and I am so thankful for her. My District is really great too. We are the only sisters in my district, so I feel completely outnumbered. But anyways, teaching is so hard. I come out of a lesson feeling so down on myself. I feel completely inadequate to teach because I feel like I don't know anything. I am really trying to study specifically for our investigators, but then they will ask a question and I have no idea what the answer is! Everybody says that the first few days are the hardest and it gets so much better after Sunday. They were right. Sunday was AMAZING! I am so lucky to have been at the MTC on a Fast Sunday. What a spiritual experience. So we woke up and then had study time, then we were able to go to Mission Conference (only on fast sundays). The Mission Presidency spoke and it was so great. They talked a lot about how we were prepared in the premortal life to serve missions and then how we need to have faith in every footstep. This was kind of the theme of the day. Fast and Testimony meeting with my branch was really spiritual and and I could really relate to everyone. I know that I am not the only one that feels completely inadequate and that other people are having a hard time too. But anyways, we had mor studying and then relief society and then more studying and then we were able to walk to the temple and take pictures. It was really nice to get a change of scenery! We then had a devotional. Sherri Dew spoke and it was awesome. Please go and read the 3rd verse to "Hark all ye Nations". We sang that with all the missionaries (ALL 2700)! Super Powerful. We then were able to watch a recording of Elder Bednar's talk, "Character of Christ". This really hit home! We all need to turn outward when times get hard and put off the natural man that would normally turn inwards. So basically Sundays are awesome. Today we were able to go to the temple. I was super excited to go through the Provo Temple for the first time! It is beautiful and SO big. 

Well, I love it here! It has been a super great experience! I have complete respect for the Elders and Sisters that stay here for 6, 9 or even 12 weeks. I am getting a little tired of being in this confined area. I am so excited to go to Boston next week! I love you all!

Sister Egan

Made it to the MTC
With my first companion, Sister Demuth in front of the Provo Temple.



Pouring Rain in Provo






No comments:

Post a Comment